24 September 2009

10 men United proceed to the 4th round of Carling Cup

Manchester United 1-0 Wolves

Danny Welbeck celebrates his winner in front of an adoring Old Trafford crowd

Danny Welbeck marked his first start of the season with the winning goal as 10-man Manchester United edged past Wolves into the Carling Cup fourth round.

The 18 year old was set free by a superb Michael Owen pass and he slotted in to send the holders through.

Hard to find empty seats at OT. It happened during the 3rd round of Carling Cup

That came after Fabio da Silva (29') had seen red for a deliberate foul on Michael Kightly, who was clean through on goal. The red card upsetted the champions as they still had an hour to more in the game. According to me, it was an inevitable and a straight red card and still the Brazilian hardly moved back to the bench. He was asked by Gary Neville to do so - "Get off quick son!"

"Get off Quick Son"
"Off you go boy"

De Laet was brought on the pitch for Federico Macheda after jus 30 minutes which was rather shocking to me! The Belgium player undoubtedly looked impressive but what happened to Macheda?

But Wolves played their part in a fine game, David Jones and Kevin Doyle both forcing saves from Tomasz Kuszczak.The Premier League new-boys lived up to their pre-match word that they would go for the victory at Old Trafford, despite not having won a top-flight match there in almost 30 years.

However, with eight full internationals on the pitch, United had plenty of ammunition to hurt their visitors and Nani and Owen, in particular, took the game to the visitors early on.

Nani didnt look as threatening as he was couple of games before with poor quality passes in the opponent's box. Not that Wolves were overawed, and they were happy to throw numbers forward whenever possible, with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake going closer than anyone to breaking the deadlock when his shot from 20 yards dipped inches over the bar.

Owen and Berra in action

Jones forced a fine save from Kuszczak from the resulting free-kick, but ironically, it prompted United's best spell of the first half and Owen should have done better with a header six yards out from Gary Neville's cross. (34') Throughout the game, Owen was hardly given any chances and when he was provided one he missed it. He was off-side a couple of times if not more and looked average.

A Neville error then let in Jones (41') , only for the former Red Devil to clip well over with just Kuszczak to beat.

The pattern continued in the second half, with United pushing and probing but lacking quality in the final third, and Wolves occasionally threatening on the break.

That was until Welbeck's intervention, the young striker getting on the end of a superb clipped pass from Owen and slamming home to cap the move of the night. (66')

Danny Welbeck was replaced by Josh King.

Darren Gibson looked impressive throughout the whole match with his long range shots but failed to convert them into a goal.

Wolves responded by bringing on strike pair Doyle and Andy Keogh, and the former twice came close to a leveller.

But despite largely dominating possession and territory as the match drew to a close, they could not force a breakthrough and United held on to make it six wins on the trot in all competitions.

No comments:

Blog Directory TheReDevilSpot - Blogged